Thursday, August 5, 2010

Newsworthy News

26 Billion Bailout for States: Quick Fix

I have nothing against firefighters, teachers, and policemen--they are vital. But, bailouts for the state governments to pay workers do not encourage states to change behavior or be self-reliant. Since 1995, state payrolls have risen on average 16 percent along side a Federal Stimulus that injected enormous resources to shore up these oversized payrolls. I personally watched the State of Mississippi cut resources to Higher Ed., mental health, and a plethora of other services. Numerous other states have made cuts to balance budgets and some have surpluses!

"Why should we the taxpayers from 46 states, like MS who cut budgets and made hard decisions, pay for the extravagances of Illinois, California, Michigan, and New York?

If Gov. Christie in NJ closed a 11 B budget deficit without raising taxes, State leadership can develop better budget priorities... if they are forced to. Direct bailouts do no such thing.

Tax Cuts=Not Credible, More Spending=Credible?

Treasury Secretary Tim Giethner: "But there is no credible argument to be made that the purpose of government is to borrow from future generations of Americans to finance an extension of tax cuts for the top 2 percent."

So.. there is not a credible argument to let people keep their own money they have rightfully earned, but there is a credible argument to push for more stimulus spending on what government bureaucrats deem best? What is this? Amateur hour?


In Government, You Fail Up!

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. If it is, then throw money at it. This article makes me yearn for a true executive in office.

No, I Double Dog Dare You

Shockingly, President Obama's "open hand" extended to Iran's Ahmadinejad on nuclear talks produced no results over 18 months. But, he is trying again. As Winston Churchill once said leading up to WWII, "We are entering a Period of Consequences." I am afraid there will be real consequences to being soft on policy to Iran. But, hey! lets keep trying.


Missed Story on Prop 8: The President

I think it is unfortunate that Judge Walker ruled essentially that I was a bigot for opposing gay marriage. What is interesting is that our President holds the same views as I do. This ruling puts his position in the spotlight.


Conflict of Visions: Michelle Obama vs. David Cameron

Normally, this stuff doesn't bother me too much. But, as much as the Administration decries business leaders and greed, I just do not get this. I applaud the PM.

Charitable Giving: Conservatives vs. Liberals

Who gives more on average? Statistics say conservatives give to causes 30% than liberals.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Butler Blaine said...

This true story called "Not Yours to Give" was written by/about Davy Crockett regarding the role of government in giving. Thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.juntosociety.com/patriotism/inytg.html

Blake Jeter said...

n response to a bill giving aid to Texas farmers who were in a catastrophic drought in 1887, President Grover Cleveland vetoed the bill and said this:

"I feel obliged to withhold my approval of the plan as proposed by this bill, to indulge a benevolent and charitable sentiment through the appropriation of public funds for that purpose. I can find no warrant for such an appropriation IN the Constitution, and I do not believe that the power and duty of the General Government ought to be extended to the relief of individual suffering which is in no manner properly related to the public service or benefit. A prevalent tendency to disregard the limited mission of this power and duty should, I think, be steadfastly resisted, to the end that the lesson should be constantly enforced that though the people support the Government the Government should not support the people.

The friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied upon to relieve their fellow-citizens in misfortune. This has been repeatedly and quite lately demonstrated. Federal aid in such cases encourages the expectation of paternal care on the part of the Government and weakens the sturdiness of our national character, while prevents the indulgence among our people of that kindly sentiment and conduct which strengthens the bonds of a common brotherhood"

Brandon Jones said...

I think we have to be very careful to critique the government protecting (Note: I chose this term instead of bailing out) our education system and the thousands of jobs associated with it. I will go on to say I agree strongly with the issue that a lot of our problems are the increasing size of state and local governments.

We must determine as a society what we want the role of our government to be. Me personally I would rather my government use my money to support and help me build with the support I provide it via taxes versus the nation building taking place outside our country that continues to go on with this administration.

On a side note Blake, what's your prediction on the season? I do not think 8 wins is unreasonable. Go Dogs!